Monday, August 23, 2010

Beer review: Left Hand Brewing Company Oktoberfest Marzen


I selected Left Hand Oktoberfest Marzen Lager this week for my beer review and photography project because Oktoberfest is just around the corner and I really enjoy Left Hand beers.  When the new packaging caught my eye, I couldn't walk away without taking one home to try.
Beer: Marzen Oktoberfest
Brewer: Left Hand Brewing Company, Longmont, CO.
Style: Marzenbeir Oktoberfest Lager
Tasting Beer can be a bit like tasting wine in that there are different ways to experience and describe beer, but it does not need to be complex, too serious or intimidating. Here is one idea of how to approach a beer tasting and reviewing.
Appearance: This beer pours a gorgeous clear copper hue with a rather shy buttery roasted almond colored head that settled quickly leaving only the faintest ring of foam around the glass.
Smell: I smell roasted caramel malts, light molasses, tart red cherries, clove, orange peel with very little hop aroma.
Taste: Bready and roasted malts are what I taste first, followed by slightly sweet orange peel undertones and spicy clove with a crisp clean yet subtle, dry, hop finish.
Mouthfeel: This beer has a light to medium body with a clean, dry finish. I thought that the carbonation was a little lacking, but would love to taste this beer on tap.
Drinkability: I found this beer is rather drinkable. I could see a full day of Oktoberfest celebrations, traditional German food and an armful of this Oktoberfest Marzen.
Rating: I enjoyed this beer, but expected just slightly more body and carbonation. Overall, I was pleased with this beer and would easily recommend it to a beer lover, especially in the late summer.
Final Words: Descent beer, great brewery.
*Welcome to week 38 of my beer examination, I hope that you take the opportunity to try this beer and share your opinions here. If you are new here, please see what 52/52 is all about. Click on the links throughout the article for an opportunity to learn more about beer and beer tasting. PROST!
Article and photography by Ryan Conklin 
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the "subscribe" button above.


No comments:

Post a Comment